Rapid Test, Blue-Green Algae Water Test Kit (one test kit, results in 10 minutes)
With the rise of toxic blue-green algae in water sources, this portable test kit gives pet owners peace of mind for safe water play.
This rapid result test uses a technique based on one of the most recent breakthrough developments in hepatotoxin detection ⁽⁵⁸⁾. A single-step, sandwich-type, non-competitive immunocomplex assay method, using a combination of antibodies present in all common microcystins and nodularins.
Unlike the complex, multi-step process of traditional immunoassays, the BlueGreenTest® utilizes a single step in-vitro approach which takes just 10 minutes to process with immediate, sensitive, and indicative results. Results are directly indicative of the current state of the tested water body, as the test can be carried out on-site directly at the source. This test not only illustrates positive or negative readings via a fluorometry-based visual guide but indicates the concentration of detected cyanotoxins. This is shown through the strength of the developed test line is directly proportional to an increase in cyanotoxin concentrations.
In a single test, and is able to detect levels between 1 µg/L – 100 µg/L (with the range expandable from 0.1 µg/L – 20 µg/L if necessary)
What Is Blue-Green Algae?
Blue-green algae is a group of organisms that are among the oldest on the planet. They can live in freshwater, salt-water or in mixed “brackish” water. Most of us know them as “pond scum.” The “blue-green” algae can surprisingly be many colors including red, orange, green, or brown. They also have been found to share some characteristics of bacteria, which has led to them being referred to as “cyanobacteria.”
Where Is It Found?
Blue-green algae is found in marine waters, as well as freshwater and brackish habitats. Under the right conditions, cyanobacteria can grow rapidly resulting in an algal bloom. Environmental factors such as light, temperature, and nutrients contribute to bloom formation.
How Can My Dog Be Affected?
Dogs are susceptible to harmful algae because they swallow more water while swimming and doing activities (such as retrieving a ball from the water). Animals can experience symptoms within minutes of exposure to the toxins. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty breathing, and seizures. In the worst cases, animals have died. If your pet experiences these symptoms after exposure to algae, contact your veterinarian.